Purpose: The Genevieve DeSarlo Annual Memorial Scholarship is a partnership between The FealGood Foundation and retired NYPD Captain and fellow 9/11 first responder Patrick DeSarlo, his wife Noreen and their 4 children. Its aim is to provide scholarships to college bound children of severely sick, disabled or deceased uniformed or civilian 9/11 first responders, workers or volunteers who have need of financial assistance. The DeSarlo family has pledged a minimum of $2,000 per year to fund this scholarship.
1. Deadline for scholarship applications is Friday May 15, 2015, 5:00 PM (no exceptions)
2. Refer to criteria below for eligibility requirements
3. Incomplete/illegible applications will not be considered for awards
4. You will be notified by mail or email regarding the status of your application
5. Scholarship funds will be awarded directly to the student upon evidence of registration in an accredited post-secondary institution
6. Funds can be used for tuition, books and living expenses
1. Applicant must be a High School senior who is a son or daughter of a severely sick, disabled or deceased 9/11 first responder/worker/volunteer.
2. Applicant must demonstrate financial need and academic merit
3. Applicant must plan to attend college the semester following his or her high school graduation
4. Applicant should be able to demonstrate the potential to honorably represent the heroic men and woman who have been effected by the events of 9/11/01
5. Applicant must provide a copy of highest SAT scores and most recent high school transcript with cumulative grade point average
6. Applicant must provide at least one (1) letter of recommendation from a high school teacher, coach, counselor, or administrator
7. Applicant must complete a short personal essay